Thursday 30 May 2019







YOGA & PILATES ARE THEY SIMILAR?


Often I hear new students say to me, “I have never done Yoga before, but I have done Pilates. It’s the same, isn’t it?”

I wanted to share with you my interpretation of the differences between Yoga and Pilates.  I have also asked Yogini Karen Mowry, who is a Pilates teacher, to share her views about Pilates. 

Yoga is an ancient tradition that originated In India 5000 years ago. Some even say that ancient Egyptians used to practice yoga. Yoga is a holistic lifestyle incorporating physical, mental and spiritual practices. The asana practice (postures) is just one part of the eight limbs of yoga.  Asanas are done to keep your organs cleansed and stimulate your lymphatic system.  Additional benefits include toning your muscles and clearing energy blockages so you can focus in meditation and live a pain free life. 

A healthy body starts with a healthy mind. Living in tune with nature, self care through yoga and a healthy diet allow you to live your best life.  When you are in harmony inside then you will find harmony in your life.  Yoga helps you to live in the present moment and helps you stay in touchbacks with your intuition trusting your gut feelings rather than overthinking situations and suffering from stress and anxiety.

 Sattva is the term for a harmonious life.. This ancient yoga practice came to the West in the 20th century and became very popular by the 1980’s as a physical well-being practice. Yet from my experience Yoga practice offers far more than physical fitness.  It grounds you and makes you feel in tune with your true nature and love for life. 


Pilates

Pilates is a physical fitness system developed by Joseph Pilates in early 20th century. He referred to it as “contrology”.  It is an art of controlled movement.  Essentially it’s a workout to improve core strength, endurance and flexibility throughout the entire body. It puts an emphasis on alignment and breathing, developing a strong core and coordination. I asked Karen Mowry a Pilates teacher her intake on Pilates:
After working long hours at a desk for a large consulting firm, my body was tight, my posture was poor and my breathing needed work.  I loved to be active and exercise but I needed something different than my normal  running and resistance training.  I tried Pilates in a studio in Northern Virginia. The instructor used the equipment to help me understand the exercises and find the muscles I needed to “turn on” as well as the muscles vI needed to “turn off”. I was hooked!   Three years later I completed the BASI Pilates teacher training program.  I am currently teaching at Cobham Pilates. I continue to learn about the amazing resilience of the body and the genius of the Pilates method. 
I asked Karen why she likes Yoga; 
Practicing Yoga helps me quiet my “busy mind” so that I can focus on what is real and important. When my mind is steady my physiology is different and my body can also relax. I think Yoga and Pilates are a great compliment to each other and an important part of a healthy lifestyle!


Yogis, it shows you that this ancient yoga practice can be incorporated in your daily life and it doesn’t discriminate ages, genders or sports. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the many benefits in your life. 
Yoga brings balance back in your body, mind and soul one with nature.
Namaste, 

No comments:

Post a Comment